The Center for U.S. Rural Cultures Studies :: Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals
Our Mission: The Center for U.S. Rural Cultures Studies produces, shares, and markets accessible, first-hand knowledge about the variety of Rural American Cultures (RAC)
Our Vision: A country whose cultural self-knowledge extends beyond the urban.
People come first
Accuracy is fundamental
Start at the bottom
Live democratic principles every day
Embody non-violence in words and action
No one is a stranger
- Create the most comprehensive and accessible resource for understanding Rural American Cultures
- Recreate human connection in hostile environments via qualitative methods.
- Nurture conditions for human trust, vulnerability, self-knowledge, and expression.
- Model power-sharing practices and processes in all projects.
- Model practices that are fair and equal in terms of giving and sharing efforts and resources.
- Model transparent, open, and accurate professional practices.
- Provide tools for developing community media and arts resources.
- Provide free access to resources that support relational health and human well-being.
- Develop possibilities for local intellectual labor opportunities.
- Develop local Citizen-Researchers (CR).
- Embody independence from business, academic, religious, and political organizations by making decisions and judgements based solely on the Center’s mission and aligned with its vision and values.