The Center for U.S. Rural Cultures Studies :: Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals
Our Mission: The Center for U.S. Rural Cultures Studies produces, shares, and markets first-hand knowledge about the variety of rural cultures in the U.S.
Our Vision: A country whose cultural self-knowledge extends beyond the urban.
People come first
Accuracy is fundamental
Start at the bottom
Live democratic principles every day
Embody non-violence in words and action
No one is a stranger
- Create the most comprehensive and accessible resource for understanding rural cultures in the U.S.
- Recreate human connection in hostile environments via qualitative methods.
- Nurture conditions for human trust, vulnerability, self-knowledge, and expression.
- Model power-sharing practices and processes in all projects.
- Model relations that are fair and equal in terms of giving and sharing efforts and resources.
- Model transparent professional standards and communication.
- Provide tools for developing community media and arts resources.
- Provide free access to resources that support relational health and human well-being.
- Develop possibilities for local intellectual labor opportunities.
- Develop local citizen-researchers.
- Embody independence from business, academic, religious, or political organizations by making decisions and judgements based solely on the Center’s mission and aligned with its vision and values.
"The future of U.S. knowledge production is
first-hand, mobile, local, and small."